crosscare migrant project
LIVING IN IRELAND: An Integration Website for Migrants living in Ireland


Share |

Private Rented Accommodation

How do I find private rented accommodation in Ireland?

You can look for private rented accommodation through local newspapers, real estate agencies or websites for example: , and The quality of rental accommodation can vary so you should view the property before making any tenancy agreement. It is common for people who have not met before to rent a house together and to share the costs of the house, including gas, telephone and electricity bills.

How do I pay for rental accommodation?

You usually pay rent monthly, in advance. An initial deposit of one or two months’ rent is also required.

How much does rental accommodation cost?

Prices of rental accommodation vary depending in what part of Ireland you wish to rent. Dublin is the most expensive place to rent accommodation. The following are average prices in 2017 (excluding bills):

  • a three bedroom house from €2,000 per month upwards
  • a single room sharing a house with others from €500 per month and upwards.

What is a rent book?

A rent book records information about the tenancy agreement and notes all your rent payments to the landlord. It is usually in booklet form. By law you are entitled to a rent book.

Your rent book should contain the following information:

  • The address of your accommodation
  • Your landlord’s name and address or the landlord’s agent (if any)
  • Your name
  • The date the tenancy started
  • The length of the tenancy
  • The amount of deposit paid
  • The amount of rent and how it is to be paid
  • details of any other payments for services, for example heating, cable television, telephone line
  • a statement on the basic rights and duties of landlords and tenants
  • a list of furnishings and appliances supplied by the landlord

What is the Private Residential Tenancies Board?

All landlords are required to register with the Private Residential Tenancies Board (PRTB). The PRTB also offers a dispute resolution service for landlords and tenants. If you call the PRTB and give them the address of the property they will confirm if it is registered or not.

Residential Tenancies Board
PO Box 47, Clonakilty, Co. Cork 
Telephone: 01 7028100 or 0818 30 30 37

Is there tax relief for rent?

If you live in private rented accommodation and you pay income tax (PAYE) in Ireland you may be eligible for tax relief on part of your rent. To apply you must complete Form Rent 1, which is available from your local tax office or from

You must have been renting on or before 7th December 2010 to qualify for this relief. The relief is being phased out and will end in 2017.

What can I do if I have a problem with my accommodation or if I have a dispute with my landlord?

If you cannot resolve the problem directly with your landlord you can contact Threshold.

Threshold provides advisory and advocacy services for tenants and long term solutions for people who are homeless.

Threshold Head Office,
21 Stoneybatter, Dublin 7.
Telephone: 021 4278848 (Cork); 1890 334 334 (Dublin); 091 563080 (Galway)
Website: – Threshold also has offices in Cork and Galway.

Back to Top

Rental Accommodation Scheme (RAS)

What is the Rental Accommodation Scheme?

If you are getting Rent Supplement for more than 18 months you can apply for housing through the Rental Accommodation Scheme. The Rental Accommodation Scheme will be replaced by the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP).

How does the RAS work?

If you are eligible for the scheme your local authority will rent suitable accommodation from a landlord on your behalf. You will pay your rent to the local authority instead of the landlord. The local authority will pay the rent to the landlord.

What are the benefits of the RAS?

  • Deposits are not required because the local authority pays the full rent to the landlord
  • You will have long term housing security
  • Quality and standard of your private rented accommodation is guaranteed
  • If you get a job you can still stay in the scheme but pay more rent.

For more information contact your local authority or your local Citizens Information Centre:

Back to Top

Housing Assistance Payment 

What is the Housing Assistance Payment?

The Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a social housing support for people who have a long-term housing need. HAP will eventually replace long-term Rent Supplement. 

Under the HAP scheme, local authorities are responsible for acceessing all social housing needs. It also enables people to take up full-time employment and keep their housing support. 

Local authorities pay landlords directly. The rent charged for the accommodation must be within the limits set out by the local authority. Tenants also pay a weekly rent contribution to the local autority, based on their income and ability to pay. For further information go to:

Local Authority Housing

What is local authority housing?

Local authority housing is housing provided by local government in Ireland. They are the main providers of accommodation for people who need housing and cannot afford to buy their own homes. Local authority housing is also known as Social Housing, Council Housing or Public Housing.

How can I access local authority housing?

You should make your application to your local authority. The local authority must then approve and prioritise the application. This assessment takes into account your income, family size, present accommodation and any special circumstances such as age and disability. You must be resident in Ireland before you will be entitled to make an application. Depending on the area, you may be waiting a number of years before you will be entitled to local authority housing. Waiting lists are long and there is a shortage of available houses. If you voluntarily leave local authority housing in Ireland, Britain or any other country, the authorities in Ireland will be under no obligation to provide you with accommodation.

Do I have to pay for local authority housing?

Yes. The local authority decides on the amount of rent you should pay based on your personal circumstances and income.

For more information contact your local authority or your local Citizens Information Centre:

Back to Top

Buying a House

How much does it cost to buy a house in Ireland?

Prices vary depending on where the house is located. Useful websites include and You can also contact real estate agents for house prices: see ‘Auctioneers, Estate Agents and Valuers’ in your Golden Pages telephone directory or go to

How do I get a mortgage in Ireland?

You can get a mortgage from banks, building societies or mortgage brokers. Interest rates vary and may be at a fixed or variable rate.

Note: Most lenders will only offer a mortgage if you have Stamp 4 or Stamp 5.

What other costs are involved in buying a house?

Depending on the cost and size of the house you may have to pay tax to the government called Stamp duty. In general, you will also have to pay a solicitor about 1% of the purchase price. You will also need to have home insurance. For more information on the costs of buying a house in Ireland, contact:

The Society of Chartered Surveyors Ireland
38 Merrion Square, Dublin 2
Telephone: 01 6445500


Is there tax relief on mortgage payments?

Yes, but only on mortgages taken out before 31st December 2012. This tax relief will be abolished after 31st December 2017.

Back to Top

Refuse Collection and Recycling

Local authorities and private waste collectors use wheelie bins or pre-paid bin tags for waste collection. Each household is usually provided with a wheelie bin for general waste and a ‘green bin’ for recycling waste. There are also 'brown bins' for household waste. 

Local authorities also have ‘bring banks’ which are collection points where you can bring recyclable materials. For your local bring bank see:

Bin waiver

Low-income households, in some local authority areas, do not have to pay waste charges to private refuse operators and local authorities. This is called the bin waiver. You should contact your local authority to find out if they operate this waiver scheme.

Back to Top

Safety at home checklist

How can I prevent against a fire in my home?

  • Install smoke alarms. In a two storey house, there should be at least 7 smoke alarms
  • Plan an evacuation drill so that every member of the household knows what to do in the event of a fire

For a Home Safety Check Sheet look for ‘Fire Safety’ on

Back to Top

TV licence

Who needs a TV licence?

Every household, business or institution in Ireland with a television or equipment capable of receiving a television signal (for example an aerial, satellite dish or cable) must have a television licence.

Where can I buy a TV licence?

You can buy your TV licence from:

For more information you should contact your local TV Licence Records Office.

What happens if I do not have a TV licence?

TV licence inspectors travel throughout the country to check that you have a TV licence. If you do not have a licence you could face a fine of approximately €1000.

Back to Top

Telephone line in your accommodation

There is a telephone line in my accommodation. How do I make sure that the bill is in my name?

If you are renting, the landlord should tell the telephone company that you are the account holder now. The account will be switched to your name and the bill will be issued to you.

There is a telephone line in my accommodation but I do not want a landline. What can I do?

If you are renting you should check with the landlord to see if the account with the telephone company can be cancelled. Otherwise the landlord may tell the telephone company that you are the account holder and you will receive bills for line rental even if you do not make any telephone calls.

Back to Top


If you are homeless you should contact your local authority or call the freephone number 1800 724 724 (in Dublin only) for advice and information on accessing emergency accommodation.

You can also go to Crosscare Housing and Welfare Information or Crosscare Refugee Service for information on centres that provide cheap or free food, shelter and healthcare.

Other homeless organisations include:

Simon Communities of Ireland:

Focus Ireland
9/12 High Street
Dublin 8
Telephone: 01 8815900

Note: There is a shortage of beds in homeless shelters so there is no guarantee that you will be accommodated. If you are, you will only be able to stay in this accommodation for 1-2 nights.

Back to Top

Supported by

This project is co-financed by the European Commission under the European Integration Fund and is supported by the Office for the Promotion of Migrant Integration in the Dept of Justice & Equality & Pobal.